Across South America, there are cries for legal, safe and free abortion. Green Wave (Marea Verde) traces the history of abortion in Argentina, making visible the feminist struggle that has been active for more than 20 years. Through testimonies of activists from Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia, the film shows the current context of abortion in Argentinian society. Following the work and activism of a diversity of voices, the documentary shows the movement through first-person accounts, marches, news, vigils and unpublished archive materials.
In Spanish with English subtitles.
Followed by a panel discussion featuring:
- Marea Verde director, Angel Giovanni Hoyos
- Rachel Cairns, Toronto-based actor, writer and creator of Aborsh, a podcast about abortion in Canada
- Amrita Kumar-Ratta (she/her), social researcher, storyteller, community curator, educator and founder of Shades of Brown Girl
- Dr. Rabea Parpia, family phyician at Planned Parenthood Toronto specializing in reproductive health and trauma-informed care
- Staff experts from Planned Parenthood Toronto, and more
Tickets: $15 (Members from $10)
Presented in partnership with Planned Parenthood Toronto.
Inspired by the successes of the Argentine Green Wave that swept pro-abortion movements across the continent, Planned Parenthood Toronto teamed up with its community partners to start a Green Wave Initiative here in our city and rally for reproductive justice. Planned Parenthood Toronto is pleased to be partnering with Hot Docs to screen this important documentary and discuss the lessons Marea Verde has to offer in the fight for reproductive justice here in Canada.
Planned Parenthood Toronto is a youth-driven, anti-racist, culturally-responsive community health centre that advances reproductive justice, health, and overall well-being for young people between the ages of 13-29. They accomplish this through primary, sexual and mental health care, as well as community programs, research and values-based advocacy. Their vision is to see a world made up of healthy, supportive, and equitable communities that promote youth’s autonomy in building their lives.
You can support Planned Parenthood Toronto’s Green Wave Initiative at
View our health & safety measures here.