OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Full-time Permanent
REPORTS TO: Director, Individual Giving & Major Gifts
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Are you a dynamic and strategic fundraising professional eager to shape the financial future of a renowned documentary film organization? Seize the chance to be the driving force behind major gift donations and capital projects as the Associate Director, Individual Giving & Major Gifts at Hot Docs! The stage is set for you to make a significant impact on the world of documentary filmmaking—don't miss out on this extraordinary opportunity!
Reporting to the Director, Individual Giving & Major Gifts, the Associate Director, Individual Giving & Major Gifts is responsible for pursuing major gift donations that strategically benefit the organization, as well as Capital projects. They are responsible for maintaining the organization’s major gift development strategy and ensuring its successful implementation through researching and sourcing funding opportunities, overseeing production of proposals, and maintaining positive working relationships with prospective funding stakeholders including existing donors and volunteer committees.
- Working with Director, Individual Giving & Major Gifts, will lead and manage campaign strategies to raise program funding while coordinating with the need to raise annual funds for operations, ensuring strategies to meet these priorities work hand-in-hand;
- Conduct donor research and develop cultivation plans for donor prospects;
- Identify and cultivate prospective donor relationships by individual contact and attending events and travel opportunities, for a diverse fundraising portfolio;
- Develop and implement a strategy for the public phase of the cinema renovation campaign;
- Conceptualize and actively manage strategic fundraising campaigns, including Hot Docs annual individual giving campaign, planned and estate giving campaign and ongoing filmmaker Fund development;
- Develop donor advancement and retention strategies that benefit all areas of Hot Docs.
Fundraising and Communication
- The Associate Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts is responsible for cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding donations over $25k for Hot Docs;
- Act as primary liaison with leadership fundraising volunteers, Board and HD30, to support approaches to individuals, foundations or corporations;
- Work with Corporate Partnership team to manage a portfolio of sponsor prospects for major naming opportunities at the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema and other Festival related sponsor development; take the lead in solicitation, and seek guidance or advice on opportunities for corporate donations;
- Work closely with Hot Docs staff and the development team to manage donor relationships and conduct prospect clearance;
- Oversee the moves management activities and tracking related to associated campaigns and their progress;
- Develop and manage the stewardship and recognition plan for all capital campaign donors, focusing on donor communications and events, including the creation of a recognition space in the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema;
- Develop overall solicitation and recognition materials for Campaigns;
- Manage and plan the donor-related cinema opening activities.
- Manage the campaign budget and reporting requirements;
- Act as primary liaison with architecture firm and builders;
- Prepare presentations for the leadership team and Board of Directors evaluating progress toward goals.
- Manage the Manager, Philanthropy and their efforts to achieve individual giving targets;
- Oversee the Coordinator, Philanthropy in efforts to raise funds from International film delegations;
- Oversee the work of a consulting firm working on direct response deliverables and targets.
- 5+ years’ experience working in not-for-profit fundraising, festival or event fundraising or other relevant professional experience; related degrees are an asset;
- Significant experience in securing major and mid-level gifts;
- Demonstrated ability to work with complex budgets, and financial reporting;
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated successful experience incorporating the principles and practice of EDI into their managerial approach;
- Proficiency and experience with Salesforce databases is an asset;
- Working knowledge of the Canadian film and television industry is an asset;
- Sound knowledge of fundraising theory and strategies;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to work independently and to respond efficiently to changing workflow needs;
- Ability to work to tight timelines and in a time-pressured schedule;
- Ability to travel internationally;
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule including some evenings and weekends.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to:
Subject Line: Hiring Committee – Associate Director, Individual Giving & Major Gifts
Email: [email protected]
No phone calls please.
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.