$45.00 CAD must be submitted along with the Project Entry Form. All major credit cards are accepted.
You will receive a confirmation from our offices within three weeks of your submission.
Please note: Applications for Hot Docs Forum and Deal Maker are only accepted online. Please do not send anything by post or email to the Hot Docs office.
- Primary contact information
- Title, genre, duration, language, format, date of principle photography, projected date of release, production country
- Pitch category and pitch type
- Type of support (commission, acquisition, pre-buy, co-production, and/or distribution)
- Stage of production (development, production or rough cut)
- Short synopsis (approximately 350 words)
- One-page treatment (approximately 850 words)
- Short status report (approximately 500 words)
- Other forums and buyers pitched (if applicable)
- Co-production partner information (if applicable)
- Committed market partner information
- Confirmed financial sources
- Top line budget
- Financing scenario
- Key creative and production personnel biographies and filmographies
- Short description of the outreach and engagement strategy (approximately 300 words)
- Short description of the distribution strategy (approximately 300 words)
- Description of the digital media component/cross platform strategy (approximately 300 words) images, sketches or screen grabs may be submitted to support this description
The following supporting documentation is required to complete the application, and may be uploaded directly into the submission form:
- Letter or email of commitment from “trigger financier” (required for regular category only). Alternately, if the trigger is a successful crowdfunding campaign, please submit a screen capture.
- One-page production budget in the applicant’s local currency and in US dollars.
- Trailer, teaser, or clips sent via a single streamable link of film footage or visuals (still or moving) from a digital media prototype (optional for regular category, required for rough cut category).
NOTIFICATION & REGISTRATION
Projects that apply for Hot Docs Forum and/or Deal Maker will be notified of their application status in early March 2023.
Chosen projects have one week to accept the offered pitch slot, pay the registration fee, and provide verification of text for publication.
Each Forum pitch team must consist of a minimum of two and maximum of three members (not including the trigger financier).
The Forum registration fee is $675 (+ HST) CAD per pitch team member, which includes:
- Access to Hot Docs Festival
- Consultations with industry programmer and Hot Docs Forum producer Dorota Lech
- A private pre-Forum pitch training session with our expert trainers
- A discount when submitting the finished film to a future Hot Docs Festival
PITCH CATEGORIES & ELIGIBILITY
Includes feature, broadcast length, series and cross-platform pitches
Independent production companies are eligible to enter documentary projects currently in development or production.
To be eligible, the project must have:
- financial commitment from a third-party market partner (broadcaster, distributor, sales agent, online platform, eligible film board/film institute) who must attend the Hot Docs Forum to co-present. We accept successful crowdfunding campaigns as third-party triggers. If applicable, successful crowdfunding campaigns should be a part of your financing package. Any additional information will be at the discretion of the selection committee.
- a minimum of approximately 10% (but no more than 75%) of its financing in place; existing financing must include arms-length, third-party monies from the marketplace; in Canada, the existing financing can also include, but cannot solely consist of, federal and provincial tax credits. Please note that the 10% minimum can be obtained through a combination of financiers.
If available, a trailer or scene selects are encouraged. A maximum of 10 minutes of footage may be submitted with the application. Trailers/clips must be hosted on an independent website and submitted via a link. Trailers/clips can be password protected, but must remain active until teams are notified of the application results.
Two projects may be entered per production company.
Rough Cut Category
Independent production companies are eligible to enter projects at a rough cut stage that have not yet secured market financing via a broadcaster, distributor, fund, crowdfunding, etc.
The submission of a trailer or scene selects is required for the Rough Cut category. A maximum of 20 minutes of footage may be submitted with the application. Trailers must be hosted on an independent website and submitted via a link. Trailers must remain active until teams are notified of the application results.
Please note that having obtained market funding does not exclude you from the Rough Cut category.
Applications for the 2023 Festival are closed.
Please note: Hot Docs Forum and Deal Maker are the same application process. When applying, you can choose to apply for both or Deal Maker only.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Entries including more than the requested documentation and exceeding the word count will not be accepted.
If your application is incomplete, you will be notified and asked to supply additional information.
After consulting with the team on possible updates and changes, the text submitted at the acceptance deadline will be reproduced in the Hot Docs Forum Catalogue.
Selected projects will be contacted in order to update the information submitted in the original application.
Only independent production companies will be considered.
Hot Docs Industry Programs decision is final and individual feedback is not guaranteed if your application is unsuccessful.
Hot Docs Industry Programs reserve the right to change the guidelines or procedures at any time.
Hot Docs Industry Programs will not take rights or liabilities in projects selected.
Projects selected and participating in the Hot Docs Forum are required to credit the Hot Docs Forum logo in their final credits.
Your application and participation implies acceptance of the above terms.