OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Full-time, Permanent
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
LOCATION: This is an in-person position based in Toronto.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applicants will be reviewed beginning November 6th, 2023 until the role is filled.
The Rental Events Manager role is the lead logistics contact for all rental, sponsor, and partner events at the Hot Docs Cinema. In addition to sales, pitching, event planning and managing, the Rental Event Manager is responsible for client contracts, invoicing, and acting as the liaison between Hot Docs and external stakeholders with regards to ticketing, operations, and technical requirements. As a member of the Production team, they also collaborate and execute on internal events to support of Hot Docs Cinema’s world class screenings, events, and festivals.
- Ingest the vision of various stakeholders and helps to plan and execute the logistical details of each internal and external event at the Hot Docs Cinema
- Generate sales to meet annual third-party rental revenue targets by servicing a roster of 50+ annual clients towards the successful execution of screenings and events
- Respond to all incoming third-party cinema and Hot Docs at Home rental inquiries, providing pricing information and generating customized quotes.
- Schedule and insert all relevant dates/times/information into the master program schedule and disseminates event information to various departments
- Responsible for all client contracting, invoicing (such as production costs, ticketing, marketing, catering, etc.), and ensuring third party revenue is balanced annually
- Create, maintain, manage the event run-of-show including schedule, set-up, documentation, and other specifics
- Act as liaison between clients and Hot Docs on all logistical, ticketing, operational, and production event details
- Attend and execute each live event on site at the cinema, performing stage management duties, including live show calls and stage setup, to ensure everything runs smoothly and ends on time.
- Assist in contracting and securing outside vendors for receptions and special requests when needed such as catering, security, event rental.
- Book and conduct a series of site visits for existing and prospective clients. Upload and store content and footage using Dropbox. Perform technical checks and oversee rehearsals when needed
- Host receptions, including the setup of dynamic food and drink stations
- Schedule Zoom and Skype recordings or manage livestreamed events using Vimeo when needed
- Creates manuals and best practice documentation for distribution to event participants
- Quality control representative, overseeing all live events and escalating technical issues
- Represent department at applicable meetings (Programming, Operations, etc.)
- Prepare reports, data analysis, and research as required
- Work alongside members of the production team to improve inclusivity and accessibility for all Hot Docs guests, staff, volunteers, festivals, and events
- Other related duties as required and assigned
- 5+ years experience in theatre/event management
- 1+ years in sales or client facing role, with verifiable sales success
- Experience and familiarity with coordination and staging of live events
- Experience working as a stage manager on live events
- Proven experience driving successful events that support organizational goals and deliver superior customer service for clients/partners/prospects
- Experience working with unionized stage technicians and projectionists
- Familiarity with front-of-house, technical, box office, sponsorship, marketing, security, and communications requirements of live and virtual events
- Familiarity with video capture and live streaming software
- Familiarity with various file transfer & sharing technologies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, Google Suite, Dropbox, Zoom (Asana, Slack, Adobe Premiere Pro also an asset)
- Understanding of video production and basic assembly and editing of video assets
- Experience with Salesforce, Adobe After Effects, and CAD is an asset
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, attention to detail, budgets, timelines, and goals
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while working independently and as part of a team
- Creative thinker with exceptional problem-solving skills, a willingness to learn and respond to change with flexibility and adaptability, and a superior commitment to client services
- Excellent relationship-building and communication skills (written and oral) including the ability to craft detailed and precise communication with professionalism
- Ability to coordinate large groups of people effectively and maintain collaborative relationships while remaining calm under pressure in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Capacity to diplomatically work with partners who have fluctuating high-pressure needs
- Ability to communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures, ranges of ability, genders, ethnicities and races.
- Ability to work full-time, maintaining flexible working hours, including some evenings and weekends
Please forward a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Attn: Crystal MacDonell, Director of Production
Re: Hiring Committee – Rental Events Manager, Hot Docs Cinema
Email: [email protected]
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.