OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Full-Time Permanent
REPORTS TO: Director, Funds & Labs
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 19, 2022
The Manager, Funds & Labs is responsible for managing the operations of the Hot Docs portfolio of funds and their accompanying professional opportunities for Hot Docs Fellows and Alumni. Working closely with the Director: Funds & Labs, the Manager, Funds & Labs project manages funding cycles, contributes to funding policy development and strategies, and supports creators within the documentary community.
- Project manages annual funding cycles for CrossCurrents Doc Funds, Hot Docs-Slaight Family Fund, Hot Docs Ted Rogers Fund and Hot Docs-Blue Ice Docs Fund, including but not limited to: overseing a funding cycle through to completion on time; supervising and improving administrative processes; ensuring accuracy of data flow and data tracking; and working collaboratively across departments to implement announcement rollout;
- Acts as a key advisor on industry trends as well as annually reviews and renews funding policy and procedures;
- Manages and facilitates the peer assessment fund adjudication processes;
- Undertakes overall application dossier reviews, including but not limited to: analyzing eligibility and ensuring projects satisfy fund requirements; evaluating financial and production viability, focusing on due diligence of business affairs; and determining risk factors and making recommendations to the adjudication;
- Acts as the primary point of communication for all applicants, fellows and alumni, and works to provide tailored artist services to Hot Docs Alumni;
- Works closely with the Director of Funds & Labs, develops, designs, schedules and produce programming for the Hot Docs-Blue Ice Docs Filmmaker Lab and other bespoke labs as necessary, included but not limited to: invitation for participants, guests and mentors and overseeing the lab budget
- Build and bolster strategic relationships and partnerships with domestic and international markets, festivals, co-producers, creators, buyers and contributors about the ongoing relevance and efficiency of the Hot Docs' funding policies and lab programs;
- Oversees community outreach, solicitation and messaging around funds' mandates;
- Maintains financial records and regulates quarterly financial reporting for all fund payments, accounting, and loan recoupments;
- Delivers annual reporting to funds underwriters and maintain up-to-date records of all funded projects;
- Represent Hot Docs at major national and international events, and speak at conferences on behalf of Hot Docs;
- Other various duties as required.
- Relevant festival, event, or other relevant professional experience; related degrees are an asset;
- Knowledge of Canadian and international film landscapes with a working knowledge of trends, key players, how content is funded as well as practices and regulations in film production;
- Exhibits excellent judgement in interpreting guidelines, managing challenging situations and making appropriate decisions using sound reasoning;
- Superior analytical skills with an ability to summarize complex concepts, conduct analyses, and formulate proposals;
- Exceptional communication skills and presentation skills with an understanding of how to liaise and build strategic relationships with experts within different spectrums;
- Exceptionally strong administrative and organizational skills with keen attention to detail and ability to manage large amounts of data;
- Problem solving skills that allow to quickly assess situations and make effective judgement calls;
- Effective multi-tasker with the ability to keep track of multiple projects and to work under pressure within tight deadlines;
- Experience producing or facilitating workshops/sessions/educational events considered an asset;
- Passionate about documentaries and the organization as a whole;
- An ambitious “go-getter” with generosity of spirit;
- Proven team player who is both flexible and adaptable;
- Available to work some evenings and weekends, and availability to work in-person;
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Experience with Salesforce or other database systems are an asset.
- Bilingualism in French is considered an asset.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by Friday, August 19, 2022.
Attn: Heidi Tao Yang, Director, Funds & Labs
Re: Hiring Committee - Manager, Funds & Labs
Email: [email protected]
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.